There are no Upcoming Events

Condividi contenuti

Issue 2

86 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger
Iscritto: 15 Dic 2010

Figured I'd get a forum topic going for discussion on the next issue. :)

I'm planning on taking this next week to explore and write about the various fan shards and possibly a few fan Ages.  So far, I plan on featuring Deep Island, The Open Cave, and Minkata shards, but if there are any other notable ones, I'm open to suggestions.  As far as fan Ages, I'm not sure if we want to include these in the shard article itself or split it and make it an article of its own and expand on it, so I'm curious about people's thoughts on that too.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

My wishful thinking about your article was something that maybe could cover what Chogon meant here. But that's just me. I thought that if the article come out more as a guide/tutorial than a mere presentation of different shards, it could be included in the Books of the website, so new people looking for infos on FanShards/FanAge would fine them (It's kind of hard to find things in a PDF, unless you know it's there)

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

I could certainly do both on this one.  Perhaps an overview of each shard to let everyone know exactly what it's all about and, after all that, a step by step tutorial on how to get into said shard.  Just don't want to take up too much space in the magazine with this. ;)

And with the section on Deep Island, Drizzle and the Offline KI could be covered briefly as well, so another plus!

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo

Maybe we could just split the article, for avoiding confusion.

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger
Iscritto: 15 Nov 2011

Umm, since I'm the "end-user" of the group...the only reason i know as much about shards is from this forum post:

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/forum/topic/clarification-or-help

Perhaps the first piece could talk about shards, what they are and the "theory" behind them. (And also perhaps touch upon the "shard days"?) This "leads up" to the second article which could be about the particular shards. (And also give us two months of material for the newsletter, another plus!)

Possibly the Drizzle, Offline Ki, ect could be a third months? Hmm...Perhaps we should just create a "Technology Corner" or something?!?

Just my thoughts.

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

Nev'yn wrote:
Possibly the Drizzle, Offline Ki, ect could be a third months? Hmm...Perhaps we should just create a "Technology Corner" or something?!?

Drizzle and Offline KI could actually be rolled into the explanation of the Deep Island shard, as both are used there to an extent.  However, if we want a separate part devoted to just those two, I can certainly make it happen. :)

And as far as dividing it up, we could make it an ongoing series (shards, fan Ages, etc.) over the next two or three magazines so as not to take up too much space. /me shrugs

Lunanne
Ritratto di Lunanne
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 17 Gen 2010

Just to let you'all know, I'm kinda busy atm but I should manage to look at the article tomorrow.

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

Lunanne wrote:

Just to let you'all know, I'm kinda busy atm but I should manage to look at the article tomorrow.

Heh, no rush.  It's not even close to being done yet.  The page there now is just a placeholder.  XD

AgeExplorer
Ritratto di AgeExplorer
Cavern CrierMessenger
Iscritto: 9 Feb 2011

I agree with Leonardo on the fact that you should split up the article. You do not want to overwhelm the readers. At the same time though you want to make sure that enough information is packed into each section so the readers are given a good idea for what the shards are all about.

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

Several things:

I made a slight change to names the articles. Jon is the one doing the current From The Gallery. I was planning on doing my "regular" column of What Happened In. I'll add a placeholder in the next day or so with the outline for my article. I've also added a place holder for the "rough draft" Larry's article. Ainia was wondering if we could add a "Box" to the article "Wildlife Photography 101" which she would write? Finally, Tashiin contacted me back about the article for Issue 3's From The Gallery. He's "on board" for writing it.

Lunanne
Ritratto di Lunanne

Ah okay I htought it was already written >.> The thing is I amnot sure whether it should be split up in different articles in a series etc. Wouldn't it be possible to do give some introduction (as in "what is a shard") with a pharagraph or two on each shard and than point to the respective websites with instructions.

Also I don't know whether the UAM shard is still up and kept up to date, I thought Dustin did a ragequit a while ago.

@Nev'yn : Great! I am only wondering what Aina means with the "box"?

I checked with Rhee and she will be doing another comic for the next magazine. I think that all in all it will be a big one :D

I've been thinking about starting my architecture series again, apart from also covering some fanages, I may make it shorter (1 page) to fit the current format better.

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

The Wildlife Photography 101 would be printed "together with" Larry's article. It would be just a few paragraphs about the size of the "Help*Help*Help" box in the last issue.

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

Lunanne wrote:

Ah okay I htought it was already written >.> The thing is I amnot sure whether it should be split up in different articles in a series etc. Wouldn't it be possible to do give some introduction (as in "what is a shard") with a pharagraph or two on each shard and than point to the respective websites with instructions.

Sounds good to me.  You're the boss on this, so I'll adhere to what you suggest. ;)

Quote:

I've been thinking about starting my architecture series again, apart from also covering some fanages, I may make it shorter (1 page) to fit the current format better.

I like this idea!

Polgara
Ritratto di Polgara
Magazine teamTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 24 Apr 2010

Nev'yn wrote:

Perhaps the first piece could talk about shards, what they are and the "theory" behind them. (And also perhaps touch upon the "shard days"?) This "leads up" to the second article which could be about the particular shards.

As someone who doesn´t know a lot about this I would agree with Nev, an article only about shards, what they are and how to use them would be great. And also the difference between "shards" and TOC for example. This article should be detailed.
The second would be fine like Luna has described it: with links to the websites. So I really would prefer two articles.

And all the other suggestions - if they all will become real - fantastic.  :)

Lunanne
Ritratto di Lunanne

I am just worried that having two articles on the same subject will be kind of confusing, so I would prefer one article with clear sub articles so you can still only read what you want to read but all the information is in one place.

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

Well, the other main reason I'm voting for "two articles" is so the newsletter/magazine also has "sustainable" content. (An item "ready made" for issue 3.) If the article is "written" in a "two-parter" format I don't feel there will be confusion. (Which I have no doubt Doobes can do as the magazine's "technical advisor". Lol!!)

I also don't mean to offend you, Luna as you are  Editor-In-Chief. That being said, Leo, Age, Pol, and myself all seem to feel it would be better as a "two-parter".

Just my thoughts. It is still and remains your decision, of course.  

Lunanne
Ritratto di Lunanne

I was thinking of putting it in the same issue so people don't have to wait. Especially because we cannot really tell how long they would have to wait.

I guess it could be two articles I just don't really see the why.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo

I think that we can decide when we see the article. If it is too long or something we can split it

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

The first draft of the "shards" article is complete!  It wasn't quite as long as I thought it would be, but it's still a decent size.  I don't think we'll have to split it up though.  Since the subject was, legally, a bit "sticky", I left out how to convert other Ages from Myst V, Crowthistle, etc. for use in these shards.

Remember, it's only a first draft, so I'm still open to any suggestions. ;)

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

@Leo: "Marten, is that you?!?" Oh, Leo! Sorry...For a minute there, I thought you sounded like someone else....Lol!!!

@Doobes: Sounds good to me, whatever works!

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo

Nev'yn wrote:

@Leo: "Marten, is that you?!?" Oh, Leo! Sorry...For a minute there, I thought you sounded like someone else....Lol!!!

LOL! I'm learning XD

Trekluver
Ritratto di Trekluver
Magazine team
Iscritto: 27 Nov 2011

Interjection! :D Wow, I've been gone for about two weeks. Sorry guys. But RL called, and when rl calls you go. (Pluss I really needed a break) :)

I'm thinking of writing an article about the New Greeeters. Possibly a part of a series where I go over valuable tips and hints in the art of greeting. It could even rotate authors from time to time so that different opinions can be heard. What do you all think?

Another thing I'm thinking of is some fan fiction stories. So I may draft some of those for the paper too. I'll let you guys know.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

Trekluver wrote:
Interjection! :D Wow, I've been gone for about two weeks. Sorry guys. But RL called, and when rl calls you go. (Pluss I really needed a break) :) I'm thinking of writing an article about the New Greeeters. Possibly a part of a series where I go over valuable tips and hints in the art of greeting. It could even rotate authors from time to time so that different opinions can be heard. What do you all think? Another thing I'm thinking of is some fan fiction stories. So I may draft some of those for the paper too. I'll let you guys know.

I'd be all for a single, in-depth article about the Guild itself once it really starts to take off, but as far as something recurring, it might be best to start our own GoNG newsletter of sorts for something like that.  Once again, this is just out of fairness to the other Guilds, because if GoNG gets its own recurring space in The Cavern Post, then others may want one too and the magazine would get cluttered very quickly.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  Luna has final say on that one. ;)

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

So I added Larry's article in html format (the way it was sent me) into my file brower. I'm assuming (and hoping!) everyone has access to it. (This is so everyone can see where the "inline" pictures are maching the sections of the article. Let me know if I should ask for higher quality or larger pictures. I also removed the "line breaks" and changed it to "plain text" for child page under the Issue 2 tab. As for Jon's From The Gallery article,  Jon says he'll have his piece finished tommorrow night sometime. Lastly, I''ve also added a child page tab for What Happened In. I plan to post the "rough draft" around 23rd/24th, if someone could "look it over" once it's posted. I plan to add any addtional items which occur and final draft no later than the 28th. That's all from me, for now!!!

@Pol: Any adivce on these items to make your life "easier" would be most helpful!

Lunanne
Ritratto di Lunanne

Doobes wrote:

Trekluver wrote:
Interjection! :D Wow, I've been gone for about two weeks. Sorry guys. But RL called, and when rl calls you go. (Pluss I really needed a break) :) I'm thinking of writing an article about the New Greeeters. Possibly a part of a series where I go over valuable tips and hints in the art of greeting. It could even rotate authors from time to time so that different opinions can be heard. What do you all think? Another thing I'm thinking of is some fan fiction stories. So I may draft some of those for the paper too. I'll let you guys know.

I'd be all for a single, in-depth article about the Guild itself once it really starts to take off, but as far as something recurring, it might be best to start our own GoNG newsletter of sorts for something like that.  Once again, this is just out of fairness to the other Guilds, because if GoNG gets its own recurring space in The Cavern Post, then others may want one too and the magazine would get cluttered very quickly.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  Luna has final say on that one. ;)

I am going to agree with you here, Doobes, partly because I suspect that the readership of The Cavern Post are already the more active people in the community who also go to AGM's for example. I am not against an article on the GoNG ...but in a few months. Apart from that an article on the GoNG every magazine would be considered favouritism and I would have to find someone(s) to do the same thing for all the other guilds and groups which would A) get the magazine bloated very quickly and B) it would be a lot of work to make sure all those articles are finished on time.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo

Nev'yn wrote:

So I added Larry's article in html format (the way it was sent me) into my file brower. I'm assuming (and hoping!) everyone has access to it. (This is so everyone can see where the "inline" pictures are maching the sections of the article. Let me know if I should ask for higher quality or larger pictures.

I moved the html in the file attachments for the Article. No people cannot access your personal folder, unless you give them a link to the document.

I didn't find any picture for that article in your folder. Upload them to the Photobucket account

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

@Leo: Sorry, that was totally my fault, I wasn't thinking. In my defense, the store I was at yesterday got inspected by the health dept right before I was supposed to leave. (Turning my 8hr day into a 10hr day.)I upload the photos when I get back to my laptop.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo

don't worry ^^

Trekluver
Ritratto di Trekluver
Magazine team
Iscritto: 27 Nov 2011

Ah, I didn't think of that. Well then, if it's alright then I'll sit this issue out; unless I come up with a cool one off story before publication.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Nev'yn
Ritratto di Nev'yn

The photos have been uploaded to Photobucket. I've created an URU Wildlife folder. I also renamed the file to match the Ages they should be placed with for ease of organization. Let me about any issues. Thanks!!! 

Edit: Place holder and content added for From The Gallery: JonathanMyer. Ainia's Wildlife Photography 101 content has been combined with the Wildlife of The Ages article. I'll have the first draft of WHI tonight, if I can manage it. (Otherwise look for it Tues night...Tommorrow will be a long day at work for me.). It's the best I can arrange due to various other projects. Sorry!!!

Doobes
Ritratto di Doobes

I now have some pictures that can be used for the shards article posted on my Photobucket account.  They are primarily of Deep Island and The Open Cave, as Minkata looks exactly the same as MOULa anyway. ;)  There's several in there, so choose whichever you'd like to use for the magazine, or if you want a specific shot of something, let me know and I can add it later.

The link to the pics is in the Book on the "Issue 2" summary page.